Luca's Transformation From Sea Monster to Human

 


I know Luca came out just last weekend so this will be a spoiler-free post!

What I want to talk about in regards to Pixar's newest animated film (aside from it being one of the cutest and funniest movies they've done!) is how the main characters Luca and Alberto, or just their species in general, transform from sea monsters to humans. There's one scene where we get some really cool shots of Luca slowly transforming. When I first saw it, I thought it was so cool! As the movie went on, I began to wonder how on earth they animated that. I have very basic knowledge on CG computer animation, but it's still so mind-blowing and I could only guess how they were able to do that. 

In Luca, the sea monsters all have scales, actual scales that pop out from the model and if you were to run your hand across it, you would feel all the bumps from that texture. Their ears and their "hair", too, are all vastly different materials than their human counterparts. So when Luca transforms, watching all of those features disappear and become replaced by smooth human skin and soft hair was very interesting to see. I could be thinking too hard on the "how," but I suppose being so interested in this industry has left me to watch movies like these in a different lens.

Comments

  1. I remember seeing a trailer for Luca and it was definitely a really cool animation! I also didn't expect the whole transformation thing from being a sea monster to a human!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried at the end of this film no joke, this movie is so charming and heartfelt that I want a sequel already ;____;

    On Disney+, they have a mini feature about 11 minutes about the making of Luca, the director and his colleagues visited Italy and did field research about how they came up with all the textures, landscaping, etc for the movie! So when you do get your animation job, hopefully, you get to do on field research trips and travel around the world lol! Looking forward to reading your future articles about animation movies Alyssa ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping it spoiler free, I'm planning on watching it once summer classes are done! I love hearing your perspective on these movies. I never really thought about the work that goes into the design and execution of animation films.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this movie! I just watched it a couple days ago, and I would like to watch it again! Everything in the movie is so cool and the storyline is awesome! After I watched it, I kept telling everyone to watch it because it is a really good movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stop-Motion Animation

The Beauty of Hand-Drawn Animation

Dreamworks, The Croods, and Animation Styles