Stop-Motion Animation

 

We'll talk about something a little different here and that is stop-motion animation. You thought drawing each frame of animation is hard work? Try moving puppets around mere millimeters and taking a picture of it for each frame. Actually, both styles of animation are very hard work and take an incredible amount of practice and skill. Stop-motion is a lot more expensive though. Essentially that's what stop-motion animation is: taking a picture of something, moving it just a little bit, taking a picture again, and so on. It can get crazy complicated the more polished and detailed you want your animation to be. Some of the more well-known stop-motion animated movies consists of The Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline, and the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer TV special. 

Each type of animation has its own kind of flair and magic to it, and stop-motion is no different. It has an aesthetic so unlike those of the hand-drawn or computer-animated variety. It's a different style of art and adds so much to the storytelling. I am constantly amazed at the patience and dedication those who make these kinds of movies have. Honestly, I could never do something like that. I'll just stick to drawing and let the professionals handle that.

Laika is a stop-motion animation studio that I really admire. They are responsible for the creations of movies such as Coraline, Paranorman, and The Boxtrolls. I watch Coraline every year for Halloween and it never fails to spook me. It's such a beautiful movie both visually and story-wise. Even one of their more recent movies, Kubo and the Two Strings was absolutely gorgeous and I instantly fell in love with it. There are so many good stop-motion animated movies out there and while I haven't seen them all, I have so much appreciation for this type of animation and these movies.

Comments

  1. Kubo and the Two Strings is a great movie. When I first saw it I cried. Then bought it on Amazon and continues to be one of the movies I watch on a regular basis . I actually never knew it was a stop motion film. Crazy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stop-motion animation! Coraline is one of my favorite movies, though it never fails to scare me. It is great to binge watch Coraline, Paranorman, and Frankenweenie every Halloween. I took ceramics in high school and it was pretty difficult so I definitely recognize and appreciate the hard work that goes into producing stop-motion animation films.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Hand-Drawn Animation

Dreamworks, The Croods, and Animation Styles